Preparing your top
Following these tips will result in the best quality finish and eliminate any additional charges.
- Remove all pins
- Trim and remove any loose threads
- Press quilt top making sure seams lie flat.
- Square up quilt top if necessary
- For pieced backings make sure selvedges are removed as they can change the back tension and cause puckers
- Backing seams should be pressed open.
- Square up the backing
- Backing and batting should measure 8" larger than the quilt top (4" on each side). Unfortunately I cannot guarantee perfect centering of a quilt top on the backing.
- Tape or safety pin a note to the quilt top and back indicating the center top. Please, no straight pins.
- Do not pin or baste your layers together!
- Sheets for use as backing are not recommended because of their higher thread count that can result in skipped stitches and tension issues.